historic sites in madison
With 133 blocks (over 2,000 structures) of the country’s most notable architecture all listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Madison is Indiana’s largest historic district. Three sites, The Lanier Mansion State Historic Site (pictured at left), the Shrewsbury-Windel House, and Eleutherian College are designated as National Historic Landmarks. Madison has been awarded National Historic Landmark District designation joining Savannah and Charleston as national treasures.
Included in Madison’s historic district and open to the public are a 19th century horse and buggy doctor’s office, a Greek Revival style townhouse, an 1816 Federal style home – believed to be Madison’s first two-story tavern, the country’s only restored 19th century saddletree factory, an 1865 railroad station and the Lanier Mansion & formal garden. Adding to the richness of the Madison experience is the historic downtown business district, home to a varied selection of specialty shops, artists, cafes, and restaurants.
African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church
The 1850 AME Church building, one of the oldest buildings of its kind in the U.S.,
commemorates Madison's important Underground Railroad heritage. It is one of a rare group of nationally recognized, privately-owned, pre-Civil war buildings associated with the city's early, free African-American community. Owned and operated by Historic Madison, Inc.
Dr. William Hutchings Office & Hospital
The late nineteenth century office and hospital of this horse-and-buggy doctor contains most of the original equipment and family furnishings. Owned and operated by Historic Madison, Inc.
Open late Apr-Oct, Thurs-Mon 1pm-4:30pm. Admission: Adults $4, Children Free
Francis Costigan House
Built by Francis Costigan, Madison’s most premier architect and master builder, for his family.
This freshly restored Greek Revival townhouse displays grand 19th century styles designed to keep the eye moving in a structure that is an architectural masterpiece of proportions. Owned and operated by Historic Madison, Inc.
Open late Apr-Oct, Sat-Mon 1pm-4:30pm. Admission: Adults $4, Children free.
Historic Eleutherian College (National Historic Landmark)
Eleutherian College is a National Historic Landmark founded in 1848 by anti-slavery Baptists. The three story tall stone building, constructed between 1853 and 1856, is a magnificent building open for tours by appointment.
Tours available by advance appointment only.
Jeremiah Sullivan House
Built in 1818 and considered Madison’s first mansion, this stately federal style structure was home to one of Madison’s most distinguished leaders. Sullivan and his family lived in the home for over 70 years. Owned and operated by Historic Madison, Inc.
Open Mid-Apr-Oct Thurs-Mon 1pm-4:30pm Admission: Adults $4, Children free.
Lanier Mansion State Historic Site (pictured)
Features 1844 Greek Revival home of James F.D. Lanier (the “crown jewel” of Madison’s Historic District), a National Historic Landmark, recreated formal gardens, Lanier Mansion Shop.
Open year round. Guided tours at regular intervals between 9am and 4pm. Gardens & grounds open dawn to dusk year round. Admission: adults $5.00; seniors $4.00; children $2.00
Madison Railroad Station
Opened in 1895 and noted for its Octagonal Waiting Room surmounted by stained glass windows. Filled with artifacts and displays devoted to railroad history.
Open May 1-Oct. 31 Mon-Sat 10am-4: 30pm, Mar 4-Apr 30 and Nov-Dec Mon-Fri 10am-4: 30pm. Admission: $3.00, children free, senior discount.
Built circa 1815. The first two-story brick inn & tavern in Madison. It was the birth place of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Indiana.
Open Apr 15 through Oct 31: Thurs-Mon 10:30am-4:30pm. Admission: adults $3.00, couple $5.00, children free
Schroeder Saddletree Factory Museum
Visit America’s only restored 19th century saddletree factory. Tours, demonstrations, and exhibits show how the Schroeder family made saddle frames, clothespins and other products. Owned and operated by Historic Madison, Inc.
Open late-Apr through Oct Sat-Mon 1pm-4:30pm. Admission: Adults $4, Children free.
Built in 1846-1849 for Captain Charles L. Shrewsbury and later owned by John and Ann Windle, founders of Historic Madison, Inc. Designed by Francis Costigan in Classic Revival style, the
house is adorned with ornate carved stone work and elaborate iron railings, a free standing staircase, intricate plaster moldings, twelve foot tall doors and sixteen foot high ceilings. Owned and operated by Historic Madison, Inc.
Tours available by advance appointment only. Admission: Adults $4, Children free.